This month’s focus: Spring cleaning
Tip of the Month: Decluttering the Owner’s Manuals
All those owner’s manuals and instruction sheets we get can provide a storage challenge. Here are some questions I ask to help reduce the manual madness.
- Do you still own the product?
- Do you need the manual in English, French, Spanish, German, and Chinese? Many manuals are printed in multiple languages. I tear out all but the English version, saving LOTS of space.
- Do you need the manual on paper? Many manuals can be found on-line, so you don’t need to keep the paper version. I just tossed the manual from my HP-12C calculator; I’ve never used that manual in the many many years I’ve owned the calculator, and I found the manual on-line just in case I ever do have a reason to use it.
Quote of the Month
I had just divorced . . . I wanted to free myself from the things that represented my past to make space for the person I wanted to become. So I resolved to go through every single thing I owned and ask one question: Does this look like it belongs to the person I want to be?
Jane, quoted by M. J Ryan in This Year I Will . . .
Organizing Event of the Month
April 15-21 is National Library Week. This would be a great time to donate books you no longer need to your local Friends of the Library, for use in the library or for part of a fund-raising book sale. You know, the books that:
- You bought eight years ago, and now you can’t remember why
- You started to read, but couldn’t really get into and set aside for some other time
- You read once but would never read again since they were just OK
- You bought because you were interested in that subject once upon a time, but you no longer are
- Someone gave you as a gift, but that someone obviously didn’t know your taste in books
Top Ten List of the Month
UK magazine Ideal Home quotes a study by Hammonds Furniture which lists these as the Top 10 Items We Hate to Throw Away:
- Clothes we don’t wear
- Books we’ve read
- Clothes that don’t fit
- Odds and ends
- Shoes we don’t wear
- Clothes that have gone out of fashion
- New clothes we’ve never worn
- Old mobile phones
- Sports equipment we no longer use
- Out-of-date computers
Donation/Recycling Idea of the Month
While most women want to keep their wedding gowns, here’s an alternative if you don’t want to keep yours: Donate it to Brides Against Breast Cancer.